Sunday, October 8, 2023

FSH NOTEBOOK: 10 THINGS FOR NFL SUNDAY

October 8th, 2023
David’s Daily Digest
Sunday Morning Edition





10 Things for Sunday

Hey, it’s Sunday, funday. We’ve got plenty of football on the docket and I am heavily invested in DFS today. With so many DFS lineups (probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 50, I may have a few questions swirling in my head. What’s the weather today, is this stud sitting today, did that guy get activated, do I have this guy in my lineups. These would be a few and while I have plenty more and little time before kickoff, it’s time to play a little game.

This little exercise I do can be considered the same “Questions Game”, Phoebe played with Joey on the show “Friends” where she asked him a series of questions and he answers them very quickly. Unfortunately for me there is no Monica and Rachel option. I will just have to stay with football criteria.

Here are the 10 quick questions or things on my mind.

1. How good is CJ Stroud?
My Take: The kid has been fabulous this season and impressive averaging over 300 passing per game with 6 passing touchdowns and no picks. The whole program in Houston looks impressive and I suspect the early success of Stroud has a lot to do with it. I can see the Texans start to shift their focus and lean more on the run game more going forward, but I don’t see Stroud necessarily slowing down. He’s got a nice compliment of weapons so I don’t believe his success is short lived.

2. Can Sammy Step up in Week 5?
My Take: The Lions are a little depleted on the offensive side of the ball with a couple of key players likely out today against the Panthers. Rookie tight end Sam LaPorta has been better than good through the team’s first four games and will likely be featured in the pass game today. LaPorta is the number two fantasy tight end (fantasy points per game) and has a great chance at improving those numbers today.

3. Which Dolphin will blow up in Week 5?
My Take: All the Dolphins do is add speed and get faster. As if Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle weren’t fast enough, the team has added wide receiver Chase Claypool. Nonetheless, Waddle, Claypool, Hill or even Robbie Chosen, this team is just a warehouse of dynamite waiting to explode. This week’s matchup looks to be a great opportunity and if I’m betting, it’s Cheetah time again.

4. Will Waller finally Wake?
My Take: It’s been four weeks, has someone reminded quarterback Daniel Jones, he has tight end Darren Waller in his lineup? Waller has basically been absent in the Giants pass game, the past two games with just 6 receptions for 41 yards and a fantasy TE31 showing in this span. The Giants offense has looked horrid and even a matchup with the Dolphins offers few silver linings. In what could become a lopsided affair, maybe Jones can check it down to Waller once in a while.

5. Can Swift Stay Hot?
My Take: Today’s matchup with the Rams will be interesting. The Eagles offense is loaded with weapons in the passing game and when you add Swift to the mix, look out. Since taking over the lead back duties in Philly, Swift has been stellar with 361 yards rushing and a 6.2 yards per carry average. The Rams defense has been in the top third against the run this season, but today they face Swift, a very tall task. The Eagles O-line is one of the best in the league and Swift is just a special talent, advantage Swift.

6. Is this The Return of Cooper Kupp?
My Take: I say it’s a bit premature to say it’s the return. However, I would expect to see Kupp targeted somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 to 8 times today. He will have fair numbers, worthy of starting but his impact will be how his presence will allow things to open up for Puka Nacua and Tyler Higbee today.

7. Can Joe Cool Heat Up?
My Take: As a fantasy owner of Joe Burrow and Ja’Marr Chase I certainly hope so. The real question is how healthy is that calf. I am sure the team is staring at their bye week (week 7), when rest will help Burrow heal. Until then, there are going to be some tough outings, however today’s matchup against the Cardinals may offer a glimpse of what might be coming. The Cardinals allow the 8th most fantasy points to opposing quarterbacks, but are fantasy owners willing to chance it (not me).

8. Is it Breece Hall time?
My Take: Well it sure sounds like the Jets intend to turn Hall loose this week. The Head coach announced earlier in the week, no restrictions, just like music to fantasy owners ears. It’s a prime matchup for Hall, as the Broncos have the worst run defense this season and their tackling has been atrocious. Hall should be in all seasonal lineups today and make sure you have plenty of shares in DSF.

9. Can the Chiefs slow JJ?
My Take: So far through four weeks, no one has been able to slow Justin Jefferson. JJ is getting peppered with targets every week, averaging nearly 12 per game. All he has done with this workload is turned it into 8.2 receptions, 135 yards receiving per game with three touchdowns. He was the consensus overall number one in fantasy drafts and he is living up to expectations. Today shouldn’t be any different.

10. Can CMC steam roll the Cowboys?
My Take: This will be the classic “Clash of the Titans” NFC matchup and it will be in primetime on Sunday Night. Just like Jefferson, Christian McCaffrey was a top draft prospect in fantasy and in most drafts was the first running back selected. Through the first four weeks, CMC has been in a world of his own, leading all fantasy players in scoring with 150 yards of offense per game and seven touchdowns this season. Even if the Cowboys defense can slow him, he has such a high floor, he’s still going to get numbers.

That's my take!
~David G. Ortega

No comments: