Saturday, September 5, 2026

DAVID'S DAILY DIGEST: 027-26

David's Daily Digest
September 5th 2026
Saturday Afternoon Edition




Saturday Sports Page


Don't Sleep On These Dudes

I'll admit, I play Madden. I haven't played as much recently as I wish, but love the game. I don't know if the Madden curse is real, but Saquon Barkly ( ADP 13, RB7) comes off a phenominal season in 2024 (fantasy RB1), then is on the Madden cover and I'm sure like most fantasy owners he'd prefer to forget about the 2025 season, where he finished as the fantasy RB15 (fantasy points per game). Barkley is healthy to open the season and with the departure of wide receiver AJ Brown, it feels like there is less turmoil in Philly. 

Barkley and company are certainly capable of producing at a high level and with one of the top three rated offensive lines in the game (per PFF & ESPN), you have to believe there's a good chance this offense returns to form. Barkley is not coming off any type of major injury, played 16 games in 2025, and totaled 280 carries last season. There is every reason to believe he bounces back and returns to the first tier level at the position. He should be going off the board in the first round, but he's consistently slipping into the mid-second round.


Another running back that may offer more value than his current ADP is the Bears running back D'Andre Swift (ADP 47, RB20). A forgotten name and one that many expect to concede a large share of the backfield duties to his teammate, running back Kyle Monangai. Monangai (currently injured) will eventually get his share when he makes it back to the field, but while he is out swift should be able to take advantage. Over the past three seasons as the lead back, Swift has consistently finished in the Top 25, peaking last season at the fantasy RB15 (minimum 10 games played). With Monangai banged up and running behind a Top-5 rated offensive line, Swift could be a huge fantasy riser out of the gate possibly pushing toward a Top-12 position (at least until Monangai's return).

I trust my eyes more than I trust what the fantasy rumor mills are churning out lately. I watched a bit of Chargers wide receiver Quentin Johnston (ADP 123, WR46) and tight end Oronde Gadsden (ADP N/A). Last season Johnston (fantasy WR24 in 2025) was the team's top fantasy receiver leading the way with 8 touchdowns. I just don't believe he goes away and Keenan Allen's (122 targets in 2025) departure opens up a lot of room for more opportunity for Johnston, as well as Gadsden.


Last season Gadsden experienced the early-season surge, which put him on the fantasy map, but clearly playing in a Harbaugh heavy-run offense did him zero favors. The team brought in tight end David Njoku, who may appear to be a better fit for the run-first offense philosophy the team followed last season, but that was last season. This season begins the Mike McDaniel era and really like Gadsden as a late round flyer or stash. I love him in DFS for his boom/bust potential, and with McDaniel calling plays, there may be more boom.

That's My Take
~David G. Ortega

*ADP stats provided by Draft Sharks

No comments: