Sunday, August 24, 2014

FSH NOTEBOOK: DAVIDS DAILY DIGEST

Sunday Edition
August 24th, 2014 
 






David’s Daily Digest

BAR IS OPEN



Fantasy Football is Back Baby!

Not only is the fantasy season here, but with one draft already in the books I can say that the 2014 Fantasy Football season is underway. If you are like me, then you know this is probably one of the most exciting times during the fantasy season; draft week.

For myself, I really love the game and nothing gets me more revved up like the fantasy draft; an afternoon-long draft filled with great sportsman camaraderie, the enjoyment of tilting back cold beverages with friends, and executing some skillful fantasy selections certain to carry me to fantasy glory. It’s really the thrill of watching hours and weeks of studying, researching, and preparation all come together in a single afternoon; carefully planning the right menu, with the appropriate drink (my choice is always an ice-cold Stella-she’s one lady who always treats a fella right), and the perfect draft. And any draft you can complete faster than expected and be able to enjoy a few more cold ones after (with plenty of post-draft commentary), now that’s the perfect draft.

And because I love fantasy football so much, I am sure I will once again play in no fewer than 6-8 season-long leagues. I mention the words season long, because yes I have discovered the weekly games so don’t get me started there. In fact, as I type away with my thoughts about fantasy football, the upcoming season, etc., I am engaged in draft number two; a 10-team PPR league with one IDP spot.

If you have yet to join a league or if your league has yet to draft, make sure you do your necessary due diligence to have a successful draft. My advice is read the magazines, listen to the podcasts, browse the various sites, and gather all the necessary information (stats, ADPs, etc.) you need to make your best informed picks.

While we all need the numbers to help us sort through the endless charts and list of players to be selected, don’t overlook two important tips; know the league scoring and who you are playing against. Since we are on the theory of smart drafting and preparation, you should also keep in mind these additional points; it’s not only important to know who to select, but when to pull the trigger.

We have waited seven long months for this day to return, so the last thing we want to have happen is a poor showing on draft day. I am no genius when it comes to fantasy football, but I love playing and take lots of notes. As I go along this week with my several drafts yet to be completed, I will gladly share my thoughts, insights and results.

Good luck this season and draft well my friend.


~David Ortega


No comments: