Tuesday, September 19, 2023

FSH NOTEBOOK: FANTASY FOOTBALL WHIFFS








September 19th, 2023
David’s Daily Digest
Tuesday Morning Edition

Fantasy Football Whiffs!
(NFL Week 2)

I am going to have good picks and I’m going to have some bad ones too. It’s just the nature of this game, so here are my week 2 picks where I whiffed.

I just didn’t love Pickens on Monday Night
George Pickens (WR) – Without a doubt, this was my biggest whiff. Don’t get me wrong, I love Pickens this season, I believe he’s the real number one in Pittsburgh. With another tough matchup against the Browns, following the disastrous start in week one, I was expecting much. To put his MNF performance into context, without the 71-yard TD catch, his line looked likes; 3/56/0 on 9 targets. Sometimes it just takes one.

I thought Mooney was money.
Darnell Mooney (WR) - I’m not really sure what happened here with Mooney. He did leave the game early in the second half with a knee injury, but in over 30 minutes of football he did not have a single target and he was only on the field for 15 snaps (seems low). 

I thought Trautman would score.
Adam Trautman (TE) - So much for the injury to the Broncos tight end Greg Dulcich, meant nothing towards Trautman’s workload in the passing game. With Dulcich out (placed on IR), Trautman recorded just one lone target. Bust.

I expected another strong game.
Travis Etienne Jr (RB) - The Jaguars running back was completely held in check on Sunday, just rushing for 40 yards on 12 carries. This was not the expected outcome in week 2 after finishing as the No.6 fantasy running back in week 1

With a home game I thought he would play well.
Trevor Lawrence (QB) -.Much like the whole Jaguars offense on Sunday, Lawrence pretty much laid an egg at home against the Chiefs. After a strong week one showing Lawrence only completed 53.8% of his passes with zero touchdowns in week 2. He was the No.27 fantasy quarterback.

I figured he’d fall flat facing a ferocious pass rush.
Russell Wilson (QB) - I didn’t expect to see this on Sunday, Wilson finishing as the No.3 fantasy quarterback. At times it wasn’t pretty and throughout it was rough. Wilson was sacked 7 times on the afternoon, but when he wasn’t on the ground he posted 308 yards passing with 3 touchdowns and added 56 rushing yards. It was a nice stat line, but greatly overshadowed by the stunning week two loss at home.

I thought it would be all Jeudy.
Courtland Sutton (WR) - His numbers on Sunday don’t jump off the paper, 5 grabs for 66 yards, but his double-digit fantasy points output (ppr) fared much better than expected.

That's my take!
~David G. Ortega


No comments: