Thursday, September 12, 2013

FSH NOTEBOOK: DAVID'S DAILY DIGEST

Wednesday Edition
September 11th, 2013 
 





David’s Daily Digest


The Weekly Wire

The weekly waiver wire, a place to find those hidden gems and temporary fixes every fantasy owner needs. My first week out of the gate was without plenty of success, so I too have been busy on the wire looking for help.

If you are like me and play in deep leagues, sometimes the pickings can be thin, but you can always find a bargain free off the wire. Following several sites, hearing plenty of conversations and yes, watching a lot of football on Sunday, I did find a couple of gems I would recommend grabbing this week.

WR Leonard Hankerson had a nice Monday night showing grabbing five balls on seven targets. His line for the evening was 5 receptions, 80 yards receiving, and two touchdowns. He’s probably not going to make multiple trips to the end zone in the same game, but his seven targets are an indication of trust from his quarterback. It’s a little too early to buy high on this guy, but he’s got the looks of a solid flex for now.

Another receiver with flex charm sprinkled with some upside, Arizona Cardinal wideout Andre Roberts. The fourth year receiver led the team with 97 yards receiving, adding 8 catches on 9 targets. Only Larry Fitzgerald had more targets with 14. As long as quarterback Carson Palmer has Fitz to target in the red-zone, Roberts scoring chances will be limited, but I like his numbers (especially targets) and believe he can be a consistent WR3/flex option each week.

The rush for the front of the line this week had to be for tight end Julius Thomas, a Broncos sleeper that has finally awoken from his two year slumber. Thomas is a third year gem that has plenty of shine ready to be polished this season, his only caveat is he is playing in a full house. Although I love this kid and believe he should be owned, the Broncos have plenty of other weapons that could limit some of his value. If you do pick him up, you may want to hang on to that tight end you drafted, at least until you see what you really have.

I won’t drag this out with too many players, so just a couple of more wire pick-ups for week one that I like. In one league I play in I see that both wide receivers Brian Hartline (Dolphins) and Doug Baldwin (Seahawks) are available (would pick up either if I needed more depth at WR). I am buying into the Hartline beat; 15 targets is no fluke and remember he had 131 last season with the same QB. He may not see as many targets in any of the remaining weeks, but he’s a favorite in the Dolphins passing game and will hold value as a mid-low WR3/flex.

Baldwin is a similar leading the team on Sunday with 8 targets and finishing the game with 7 receptions for 9a yards. Baldwin is not going to have too many flashy games, but I think he’s got plenty of flex appeal and worth the pickup this week.

These are wire gems and my takes for week one.

Before I go, I got to this post a little late, but just wanted to pay my respects to the many lives lost on 9/11 and salute the NYPD, NYFD, the service men and women of our great country, and the all the great Americans that were there that day and did what they did and all they could to help. 


We will never forget….
  

~David Ortega

No comments: