Sunday, August 18, 2019

FSH NOTEBOOK: DAVID'S DAILY DIGEST

Sunday Night Edition
August 18th, 2019






The Draft Weekend


I’m playing a little catch up here as this past weekend was my annual Draft day weekend marathon. It has become tradition, in this kid’s (I’m not a kid - and don’t ask) neighborhood home leagues to partake in two deep fantasy drafts on the same weekend. We’ve been doing this, a number of years now and it’s been quite the endeavor, but an experience well worth it. 

Preparation & Podcasts

Like every year, leading up to Draft day, I spend a lot of my free time researching and studying, as much as I can and as much as real life will allow (and that’s not much). I pick up the annual fantasy mags for cheat-sheets and rankings, and I print out the various ADPs and rankings from FFC and Fantasy Pros (two of my favorite sites). I also absorb some of the popular fantasy podcasts & shows, sometimes for the insight and analysis, and sometimes for entertainment, and even sometimes to just get me in fantasy draft mode. 

Draft Day Anxiety

When the day arrives, all bets are off, it’s go time and every fantasy owner for themself. The clock winds down to zero and first owner is on the clock; depending on your spot in the draft, you have time to consider you strategy, the direction you will go, zero running backs to start, heavy wide receivers in the opening rounds, early round reaches, or playing it safe. Even the first pick can cause some anxiety or nervous anxiousness, as it will set the tone for your following picks. 

No matter what that first important decision becomes, keep your eye on the prize, be committed to your decision and construct the best fantasy team that’s ever been put together. Believe in your process, stay the course, and go the distance with determination, focus, grit, and if all else fails, flip a coin. We put some much into this day that will define our upcoming season, the good thing this is, one year from today we can do it all over again. 

Draft Day Picks

My 2019 Fantasy Draft weekend has concluded, and for a while on Saturday it seemed all of my picks were all over the place, from my 2nd round Le’Veon Bell selection to my DK Metcalf selection in the 12th round. I doubled down with quarterback Deshaun Watson in both leagues, taking him in 2nd round in one (8 team league) and the 6th round (10 team league) in the other. 


I also locked up wide receiver Chris Godwin in both leagues; 5th round and 7th round. Both Watson and Godwin were targets of mine, as was running back Aaron Jones. These were players I eyed, and made sure I was able to grab without having to reach further than I was comfortable.

The Results

The first day of drafting was the most relaxed and the group enjoyed the time we took, but 8 hours of drafting can take its toll; good thing it’s only once a year. We all started with high hopes, but with the usual conjecture, speculation, unproven analysis, and good natured ribbing with each pick, the draft lasted and lasted. 

At the conclusion of both drafts, my final take on how my teams looked, I was very satisfied with the balance and depth I achieved. Here’s a look at the early rounds of both.

8-Team League
1.Ertz, Zach
2.Watson, Deshaun
3.Johnson, David
4.Cook, Dalvin
5.Jones, Aaron
6.Diggs, Stefon
7.Godwin, Chris
8.Winston, Jameis
9.White, James
10.Woods, Robert

Notes: This is tight-end league (.2 pts/yard), so Ertz was early, but the second TE off the board. I went heavy with RBs early that I feel with contribute in the pass game very well. This is also a Superflex league which is why I snagged Winston early in the 8th; I think he’s going to be top 10 this season.

10-Team League
1.Odell Beckham Jr
2.Le’Veon Bell
3.Aaron Jones
4.David Montgomery
5.Chris Godwin
6.Deshaun Watson
7.Robby Anderson
8.Vance McDonald
9.Will Fuller
10.Kalen Ballage

Notes: Odell fell to me in the 9th slot of the 1st, so had to grab him, came back with Bell in the 2nd; love his potential heavy volume. I am high on Godwin, so I took him in the 5th and followed him with Watson in the sixth; I think Watson could be top 3 this year. I like McDonald’s potential this season with Bell and Brown out of Pittsburgh, and my Fuller selection is points on points with Watson.

That’s My Draft Day Take

~David G. Ortega

No comments: