Sunday, August 11, 2019

FSH NOTEBOOK: DAVID'S DAILY DIGEST

Saturday Night Edition
August 10th, 2019








The Return of Fantasy Football



It’s been a bit of a hiatus for me, but it’s that time of the year again and I have returned to my computer to once again engage in Fantasy football conversation.

Now it’s not like Fantasy Football was my best girl that went away for a long spell, but for the long months of the football offseason she has been missed dearly. 

With NFL training camps in full swing and the first week of Preseason games nearly complete, she is back! The new fantasy football season is here and fantasy drafts are right around the corner; are you ready for some fantasy football?

For myself, my early prep has been engaging in the latest, but not the newest trend of ever growing in popularity Best Ball drafts. I am loving these leagues, especially with the slow clocks; 8 hours works for this guy who often has a lot of distractions that can get in the way.

So, enough with small talk, time to dig into some fantasy chatter to open things up.

This being my first entry of the 2019 season, I’m not going to go to deep into my speculations or predictions, but rather just keep this opening announcement to the new season succinct.

This time of the year is always the best for us football enthusiasts and it’s even greater for those of us that enjoy playing fantasy football. Along with the NFL camps opening fantasy shows on the radio and podcasts online are heating up with relevant conversation for the upcoming season. I am an avid listener of many shows and yes, I’ve already picked up my three fantasy mags for my upcoming live drafts later in the month of August.

Best Ball leagues have been a great way for myself to jump back in the mix in a fast way, but I am keeping in mind this format is a beast of its own and is very different than the regular season long redraft league.

Along with participating in the many BB drafts I have completed (my current count as of this blog entry is at 4 leagues), I am still in the middle of several and plan on adding quite a few more. If I have anything to share at this time, my biggest takeaway from playing in these Best Ball drafts thus far is learned strategy.

Just like your Daily Fantasy sports lineups, for me anyway, in BB “stacking” has become very popular. As I draft receivers or pass-catching running backs, when it’s time to snatch a quarterback I am often looking at stacking. I am finding now, that as I draft in the early rounds of Best Ball, I am positioning these “stacks.”

I will leave with this, there are a lot of interesting stories concerning players in new places, change of scenery, with many potential outcomes; in my next entry I will share some of my early season Buy and Share list.

That’s my take.
~David G. Ortega

No comments: