Wednesday, August 27, 2014

FSH NOTEBOOK: DAVID'S DAILY DIGEST

Wednesday Evening Edition
August 27th, 2014 
 






David’s Daily Digest

DRAFT! DRAFT! DRAFT!


Get Your Popcorn Ready!

If you have yet to start your league’s draft, then get your popcorn read, because this weekend is sure to be jam-packed filled with fantasy drafts. My annual excitement started last weekend with a marathon 30 round draft (six and half hours of time “on the clock” and endless drinking). Oh yeah, that’s the other half of the fun when drafting in a fantasy league (it’s a well-kept secret in case you were unaware).

So far through the past five days of fantasy drafting (in six leagues), the one thing I have learned you gotta be prepared. In one league where I had a chance to grab Peyton Manning early (fantasy gold), I snagged him off the boards only to realize my impulsive move turned out to be more costly than I would have normally thought.

So while I felt great about my quarterback selection, what I failed to realize was this was a three-starting receiver league. After taking running backs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds I found myself with Torrey Smith, Jeremy Maclin, and Justin Hunter as my starters. Now don’t get me wrong, none of these players are fantasy bums, but I am truly riding a leap of faith rolling with these three.

In another draft (8-team league) with the pickins a little deeper, I stuck to my guns. With an early pick at number 4, I grabbed DeMarco Murray and followed him with AJ Green (13th pick) and Alshon Jeffery (20th pick). Even though running backs were falling fast, I was still able to come back with Zac Stacy (29th pick) in the 4th round. I stayed away from the quarterback and took my Tight End (Julius Thomas) in the 5th before nabbing Tony Romo; a risky proposition, but one I backed up with Carson Palmer in the 10th round.

A couple of notable picks that I grabbed in the mid-rounds were running back Chris Johnson, wide receivers Torrey Smith and Marques Colston. These players I took later, but like their potential to have very productive seasons; top 25 respectively.

There’s plenty more to learn and plenty of time to practice the craft. With more than a week until the season starts I plan on using the available time to seek out the late round gems and fantasy sleepers that will help my teams get over the hump and pave their way to fantasy glory.

Who will you take first in your upcoming fantasy draft?


~David Ortega


No comments: